- We live in a time of relentless change. The only thing that’s certain is that new challenges and opportunities will emerge that are virtually unimaginable today.
In Five Minds for the Future, bestselling author Howard Gardner shows how we will each need to master “five minds” that the fast-paced future will demand:
- the disciplinary mind – mastery of major schools of thought (including science, mathematics, and history) and of at least one professional craft
- the synthesizing mind – ability to integrate ideas from different disciplines or spheres into a coherent whole and to communicate that integration to others
- the creating mind – capacity to uncover and clarify new problems, questions, and phenomena
- the respectful mind – awareness of and appreciation for differences among human beings
- the ethical mind – fulfillment of one’s responsibilities as a worker and a citizen
Without these “minds,” we risk being overwhelmed by information, unable to succeed in the workplace, and incapable of the judgment needed to thrive both personally and professionally.
Renowned worldwide for his theory of multiple intelligences, Gardner takes that thinking to the next level in this book. Concise and engaging, Five Minds for the Future will inspire lifelong learning in any reader and provide valuable insights for those charged with training and developing organizational leaders-today and tomorrow.